Although South Africa has been without load shedding for more than 5 months, it has not gone away for good. If you are in retail, it is worth investing in a backup power supply solution to keep productive.
Retail backup power supply options
There are many options when it comes to backup power supply solutions for the retail sector, all varying in efficiency and price. Here is a selection of backup solutions available:
- Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) – A UPS is a device that gives battery backup power by means of an Inverter when the utility power fails or drops below unacceptable voltage levels.
- Inverter systems – An inverter is an electronic circuit that converts Direct current (DC) to Alternating current (AC). The energy is supplied from a DC source like a rectifier charger or a battery. In the event of an AC power supply failure, the DC from the battery is converted to AC to be used by the respective load devices.
- Generators – This is a machine that converts one form of energy into another, specifically mechanical energy into electrical energy.
- Solar energy systems – Solar cells produce direct current electricity from sunlight which can be used to power equipment or to recharge a battery.
- Batteries – A storage battery is a type of electrical battery which can be charged then discharged into a load, and recharged again.
Benefits of backup power supply solutions
No matter what retail operation you run, you will rely on internet for a substantial portion of your day-to-day business. Blackouts or interrupted power supply will undoubtedly impact your business negatively. Research and analysis group, Intellidex, released new data indicating that South African businesses lost around R300 million per day during the height of stage 2 load shedding.
It’s vital that those in the retail industry protect their operations by ensuring an uninterrupted power supply, no matter what is happening on the national grid. Here are some of the benefits of backup power supply solutions in retail:
- Profitability – Although the initial cost of investing in backup power supply solutions might be quite high, this cost is quickly absorbed in the event of power outages. Make sure your business does not suffer from lost revenue.
- Safety – The risk of theft and other criminal activity is increased during a power outage. You can ensure the safety of your staff and shoppers by installing a backup power supply solution which will keep your lights running. You are also able to ensure security devices such as electric fencing and alarm systems remain operational.
- Equipment protection – The constant surge of electricity as a result of power going on and off can damage sensitive electronic equipment, costing you a lot more in the long run.
- Protect your produce – If your industry requires refrigeration for the storage of your produce, then a backup power supply solution is vital. In cases where load shedding continues for more than four hours, you are likely to lose a large amount of your produce while also risking the health of customers.
- Job security – loss in revenue as a result of power outages could force you to make employees redundant. A backup power supply will keep everything operational, while also keeping staff morale high.
Don’t risk your business, invest in a backup power supply to keep you connected and protected during any power outage. Consult with industry experts regarding the types of backup power supply solutions on the market – there is something that will suit your unique needs and budget.
Share this Post